Create perfectly shaped snow cone or ice cream cone cupcakes. The cake batter bakes into round mound - just like a scoop of ice cream.
What you need:
- Cake batter. Make your favorite cake batter or prepare a box mix.
- Large ice cream cones - both sugar cones or traditional flat bottom cones will work.
- Aluminum foil
- Mini Dome Snack Cake pan - for that perfect ice cream or snow cone shape
- Royal icing
- Edible toppings: Coarse sanding sugars, sprinkles, crushed nuts, coconut or whatever you like for a topping
- Non-stick cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
2. Wrap the bottoms of the cones to protect them from burning, being careful to leave at least an inch of cone to dip into the batter.
3. Spray the pan with non-stick spray.
4. Fill the pan cavities with batter almost to the top. Place the foil wrapped cones open end down into the batter.
Note: To help give some extra support so the cones would not fall over, I placed extra foil in between the rows.
5. Bake for approximately 22 minutes. Cupcakes will be browned.
Note: During the baking process, I checked the cupcakes to see how they were baking. If I saw any of the cones tilting, I simply took a potholder to protect my hand and stood them back up straight. The cake is hot so it will form fine if you mush the cone into the batter.
6. Once they are done baking, let the cakes cool completely before removing the foil and taking out of the pan.
7. Once cool, remove the foil.
8. I coated the cake tops with the royal icing and dipped the edge of one side in blue coarse sugar, then the other edge in red coarse sugar, leaving the middle to carefully dip in the white coarse sugar.
9. After dipping, I placed each decorated cone into a coffee mug or short glass to allow the cupcake cone to dry. (Can also use our Cupcake Cone Baking Rack to let set and keep cones upright.
Note: The Royal frosting will dry hard and allow you to place the cones on a platter for everyone to enjoy. If you don't like royal frosting, a regular frosting can work too.
10. Use our Cupcake Cone Baking Rack to display your snowcone cakes in an upright position.