Easy Cherry Cake
Old fashioned cake made in a pie plate and topped with whipped cream - wonderful treat for family gatherings and it's so easy!
- 1 batch of your favorite cake batter. Follow the instructions on the mix.
- Cherry Pastry Filling (at least 1 cup, or more if you want it very cherry)
- Whipped topping and/or powdered sugar
Preheat oven as instructed on cake mix.
Two quick tips:
- Cake mixes now come in different sizes. Smaller sizes only make 2 dozen cupcakes or 1 round/square cake. Using a smaller mix, this recipe can be made in a glass pie dish.
- Make 2 desserts at once using a full size cake batter mix. Bake 6 plain cupcakes and then with the remaining batter, use 1 pie plate for this cherry cake.
1. Pour cake batter into an appropriate sized baking dish: square, round, oblong.
2. Into the batter, drop tablespoon-size blobs of cherry pastry filling. you can put in more or less depending how cherry you like it.
3. Take a butter knife and drag through the cherries in a swirl-like fashion.
4. Bake cake following the timing chart on the cake box/recipe. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick or cake tester into the plain cake area. The toothpick should come out clean.
5. Let the cake cool.
6. Cut and serve cherry cake topped with a combination of your favorite toppings - powdered sugar, whipped topping, ice cream or more cherry pastry filling.