Banana French Toast Cupcakes
Enjoy these cupcakes with friends along with a good cup of coffee!
from: Toni Pellegrino Obenshine
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salg
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 mashed ripe bananas (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup sour cream
Maple Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
- 1/4 tsp. maple syrup
- 3 cups sifted confectioner's sugar
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
2. In a non-stick skillet, toast walnuts over low heat, stirring occasionally until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add maple syrup; stir to coat nuts continue cooking and stirring until bottom of pan is nearly dry, about 2 minutes. Remove nuts from pan; cool completely.
3. In medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside. In large bowl, beat butter and sugars with electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add eggs, mashed banana and vanilla; mix well. Add flour mixture alternately with sour cream; blend thoroughly. Mix in 3/4 cup candied walnuts. Fill baking cups 2/3 full.
4. Bake 20-25 minutes or until cake tester inserted in center of cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes in pan on cooling rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan; cool completely.
In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until creamy. Add the maple syrup and confectioner's sugar, 1 cup at a time, scraping down bottom and sides of bowl as necessary. Fill pastry bag with icing and using a #23 tip, pipe a zigzag of icing on top of each cupcake.