Apple Hand Pies
This is a fun way to have a "little" pie. They are easy to make with mini pie top cutters.
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 sticks of very cold butter cut into peas sizes pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or substitute using Non Fat Greek Yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice (omit if you don't have fresh lemon juice)
- 1/2 cup ice water
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 apples, peeled, cored and diced small about 3 cups
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice (omit if you don't have fresh lemon juice)
- Optional: 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts and or 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 egg yolk beaten well with 2 tablespoons water
- Sparkling sugar crystals for decoration - adds an extra Yum!
1. In a large bowl, combine flour, cinnamon and butter by cutting butter into flour with pastry cutter or fork until it resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together the sour cream, lemon juice and water. Create a well in the middle of the flour/butter mixture and add in water a little at a time. (*Do not add extra water.) Massage with hands until dough forms. Wrap in plastic and refrigerate at least 1 hour (can chill overnight).
2. Mix the diced apple with the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and lemon juice. Set aside. Prior to preparing the pies, drain any accumulated liquid from the apples.
3. Remove the chilled dough from the refrigerator. With a floured rolling pin, roll out dough onto a floured surface to a 1/8" thickness.
4. Using the Mini Pie Top Cutter as a guide, cut a circle of dough with at least a 1/2 inch edge. Cut approximately 12 rounds, re-rolling dough scraps if needed.
5. Using the Mini Pie Top Cutter, place cutter in center of the dough round and press down to cut out the center. Repeat on 6 of the rounds for the tops of the hand pies.
6. Using a paring knife, lift out the mini dough cutouts; these can be placed on the pie for decoration. This will yield approximately 6 tops and 6 bottoms. (You may have more or less dough depending on thickness of dough).
7. Place approximately a 1/2 cup of the drained apple filling on the center of the bottom crusts. Place the top crust over the bottom dough and filling. Using the Krimp Kut Sealer press down and go around the edge of the pie. This sealer cuts, crimps and seals in one quick motion.
8. Using a wide spatula carefully lift pies onto a Big Sheet Pan that has been sprayed with non-stick spray.
10. Bake 20-30 minutes, until the hand pies are golden brown. Thicker dough will take longer to bake. Remove the pies from the oven, and let stand to cool slightly before serving. Enjoy!